Family Law & Estate Planning Attorney
Tara was born and raised in northern New Jersey, where she worked full-time to put herself through college and law school part-time. She graduated from Rutgers School of Law in New Jersey with an academic award. While attending Rutgers Law School, Tara served as facilitator of study groups in the minority student program, teaching assistant, and Editor of the Women’s Rights Law Reporter.
Tara is committed to protecting what matters most. For over eight years, she has practiced family law and trust and estates. She has over twenty years of negotiation experience. As a result, she can evaluate cases properly and implement creative and unique solutions in negotiations with opposing parties.
Tara’s negotiation skills are an asset to clients and the firm. In the courtroom, Tara provides zealous advocacy balanced with level-headed representation focusing on the facts and the applicable law. Emotions are not at the center of the strategy- which leads to better legal results.
Tara is licensed in four states including Virginia, Colorado, New Jersey, and New York. She is a member of the board of directors of the Chester YMCA, and Metro Richmond Women’s Bar Association.
Tara was named as a Super Lawyer Rising Star for 2023, Best Lawyers One’s to Watch 2022, and Favorite in the Richmond Times Dispatch Best of 2022-2023.
She is married to Sahib and they have four amazing children ages 33, 32, 19, and 10, plus two grandchildren.
In her spare time Tara loves running, exploring Virginia, cooking, reading, traveling, plus spending time with her family and friends.
- Rutgers, School of Law, Newark, NJ
- Juris Doctorate – 2011
- Law Review: Women’s Rights Law Reporter, Editor
- Honors: Academic Award for the Highest Property GPA
- Honors: Member of the Black Law Students Association and Older Wiser Law students Club
- New Jersey
- New York
- Board of Directors of the Chester YMCA
- Board of Directors of the Metro Richmond Women’s Bar Association
- Metro Richmond Women’s Bar Association, Board Member
- Chester YMCA, Board Member
- Hill Tucker Bar Association
- Metro Richmond Women’s Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar
- The Law Office of Tara Brown, 2016-2021, Whitbeck Bennett PLLC, 2021-2023
- Recognized by Best Lawyers for Ones to Watch
- Rising Star by Virginia Super Lawyers